"Perfection is a disease of a nation"

Last week the annual Girlguiding survey revealed that 36% of seven to 10 year old girls say people make them feel that the most important thing about them is the way they look!  I don't know about you but that sentence saddened me. Let me reiterate just in case it didn't make you think -  1 in 6 young girls in the UK feels ashamed about how she looks. Yep. Absorb that for a second.

Now don't get me wrong I wasn't always super comfortable in my skin, when I was a teenager there were plenty of things I wanted to change in fact it's only in the past year that I am absolutely fine and comfortable with how I look. The thing is I never let it consume me and I for one never felt my appearance was the most important thing about me.  

The survey revealed people make young girls feel like this. We as a society are making young girls feel bad about themselves when in fact we should be making them aware that life is not all about your outer appearance - it's about your inside, your character, how you behave, your soul. We should be encouraging one another to have substance, encouraging a positive body image, positive self-esteem and the confidence to achieve everything they want. 

It's not just young girls that are made to feel like this but it affects so many adults and it shouldn't. As a society we need to stop putting one another down, prejudging people by their outer appearance, what they do etc, without getting to know their inner being. Everyone is guilty of this, we have all done this at some point but it shouldn't be the case. How many times has someone made an assumption on you based on how you look? I've had this throughout my life but I rarely let it affect me because how someone judges you says more about them then it does you. As long as you are happy with your life, how you look, feel, that is all that matters - who actually cares what the next person thinks? You are in control with how you feel. No one can make you feel bad about yourself.  

The next time you go to make a prejudgment on someone stop and think how you would feel if someone did it to you. Call people out for doing this, encourage everyone to be comfortable within themselves and stop placing so much emphasis on appearances. We need to encourage everyone to strive for substance. To do things because they want to not because they feel society says they have to. To think for themselves, not follow the crowd. Not to feel bad about something because someone made them. Give them the inner confidence that they can carry throughout life. Remind one another that beauty is on the inside. 


Let's all make a conscious effort to encourage a positive body image, increase self-esteem, up lift each other. After all we are society and we can change and make a difference..... 








XxX

Meera Sharma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram